Thursday, February 4, 2010

Allen Ginsberg





“Whoever controls the media, the images, controls the culture.”
Allen Ginsberg quote

“Nobody saves America by sniffing cocaine. Jiggling your knees blankeyed in the rain, when it snows in your nose you catch cold in your brain.”
Allen Ginsberg quote


As I was looking up pictures to post for this blog I found more pictures of him naked than dressed. When I look at him I think of hippies. When I read "Howl" I thought of hippies too. The thought of free love, drugs and no rules goes into this poem. I assume this poem is autobiographical and Allen was writing about scenes he has witnessed. I read this poem late at night I found the lines about the endless cock and balls funny. I know many people were shocked by the language in the poem, but just some of his wording made it funny to me. I guess being around such a wide variety of people during my life has made me ammune to certain types of languge. To me "Howl" is a confession from a hippie. He is admitting that the free spirited behavior was slowly killing off all his friends. I don't get a mornful feeling about the death of friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment