Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Donald Barthelme




"The best way to live is by not knowing what will happen to you at the end of the day... "
Donald Barthelme

"The Balloon"

I will be the first to admit this story may have been over my head.(no pun because of the balloon) I can see a balloon covering a city, but reading this story I envisioned smog covering the city. I could even see a "bubble" around a certain area of the city. A "bubble" of imaginary lines that keep people in or out of the specific area.
Why are some words in quotations? "Situation", "interesting", "landscape" why these words? I don't understand why these words are highlighted.
One line that sticks out to me is " That all these varied motions, as well as others, were within one's possibilities, in experiencing the "up" side of the balloon, was extremely exciting for children, accustomed to the city's flat, hard skin. But the purpose of the balloon was not to amuse the children." This line tells me one there is a purpose of the balloon and second it is being used by everyone for different reasons. I don't know what the purpose of the "balloon" is maybe someone can give a idea in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment