Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Claude McKay


"Idealism is like a castle in the air if it is not based on a solid foundation of social and political realism."
Claude McKay

''Although she feeds me bread of bitterness,
And sinks into my throat her tiger's tooth,
Stealing my breath of life, I will confess
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth!''
Claude McKay


I gotta be honest. Claude McKay does nothing for me. His poem The Lynching has some moving words. The rest of the poems seem dull and don't spark the thoughts that Langston Hughes did. The Negro's Tragedy I didn't not feel any pain for the people in this poem. I might not be looking into the poem very deeply, but I read it four times and I still feel nothing. McKay's poems are dull and lifeless. I am sure they read different for everyone, but his words left me empty. Maybe during class someone will enlighten me to the wisdom he produced, but until then I will be a empty coffee cup in need of some stimulating McKay premium coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment