Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Robert Frost



"A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point of doubtful sanity."
Robert Frost
"College is a refuge from hasty judgment."
Robert Frost
"Education is hanging around until you've caught on."
Robert Frost


Robert Frost is one of my favorite poets. After reading more about him, I understand from all the loss he suffered how he could have such a realistic view on life. His style of writing really appeals to me. It maybe the rhyming patterns in his poetry that make them easy to read, but I have not read anything yet he has wrote I did not enjoy. Even the poem "In a Disused Graveyard", I found the last several lines amusing.
"How no one dead will seem to come.
What is it men are shrinking from?

It would be easy to be clever
And tell the stones: Men hate to die
And have stopped dying now forever.
I think they would believe the lie."


I think it funny how the grave stones are sad because dead men are no longer coming into the grave yard. Frost's poetry turns parts of everyday life into a interesting work of literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment