Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Zora Neale Hurston



"Anybody depending on somebody else's gods is depending on a fox not to eat chickens."
Zora Neale Hurston

"I do not weep at the world I am too busy sharpening my oyster knife."
Zora Neale Hurston

Hurston gives a breath of fresh air in the Harlem Renaissance. "Sweat" is a wonderful story about a strong black woman and I really enjoyed reading it. In the story "Sweat", Delia is beat so badly by her husband her appearance changes. I really like it that the men on the porch want to take up for her, "We oughter take Syke an' dat stray 'oman uh his'n down in Lake Howell swamp an' lay on de rawhide till they cain't say Lawd a' mussy." They even leave the porch whenever Syke shows up with Bertha. It says alot about Syke when the elder men in the town turn against him. He beats Delia, sleeps around with Bertha and he acts like he owns the town and to me that is a definition of a bastard. I was too delighted to read at the end of the story Sykes was bitten by the rattle snake he put in house to bite Delia. Hurston is a wonderful story teller and I sure many women have enjoyed reading "Sweat".

No comments:

Post a Comment